Friday, January 15, 2010

The Christmas Music of Mannheim Steamroller

On the day after Christmas, we went to see The Christmas Music of Mannheim Steamroller in concert. Santa put a ticket in each of our stockings - well not in the dog's stocking. They just got a couple new toys and dog treats (which they were very happy with!). And if you know Sam, he probably would have eaten the ticket anyway.

On the way to and from the show, Ryan read us puzzles from his new THINKlers book that he got at the Christmas Eve gift exchange. That book is really fun and works perfect in the car - he read them to us and we tried to get the answers. The ones we did this night include a list of three or four items and you have to guess the missing item or what connects those items. For example: John, Paul and George? And the answer is . . . Ringo. Or jalopy, lemon, junker . . . slang terms for cars.

The concert was . . . well kinda weird. I love their music. Those are some of our favorite Christmas CD's - they even beat out my new Sting Christmas CD - shocking I know! But, the concert was strange. I mean the music was great, especially the second half. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentleman played in the traditional Renaissance style and then again in the Mannheim Steamroller style blew my socks off. Remembering it right now is giving me goosebumps all over again. I have never seen a recorder played so brilliantly before. The brass section consisted of one trumpet and one French Horn (and they were both played amazing and with such a huge sound it was hard to believe there were just two of them). I would say over half of the group played at least four different instruments. But the show itself was well not the most entertaining show I've ever seen. I mean at times I felt like I was watching some kind of strange basement rehearsal or something. I could almost hear them saying "wouldn't it be cool if we did this or we did that and then the audience would think that was funny", only the audience seemed more confused than amused. It was an experience, just not the one I was expecting.

We did have fun and are very grateful to Santa for indulging our love of music and allowing us this wonderful experience. However, I am looking forward to the next time All-American Rejects or 30 Seconds to Mars or Def Leppard or Star Wars in Concert or even better STING is in town! (He is forgiven for his Christmas CD already in my mind.)

Doug & Ryan waiting for the show to begin:
Ryan and I. And even though it looks like I'm jamming the program into his face, I am not, he is! He was the one holding the program up to his face.

2 comments:

Diana Gibbs said...

Sure, put the poor boy's eye out why don't ya!

Love ya,
Di

Mel said...

Isn't that good parenting? Mom of the year right here! You know I pretty much told him to smile and sit still for the picture or I would poke him in the eye with the program!

Related Posts with Thumbnails