Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Of All The Things . . .

When I became a parent there were many things I thought about raising a child.  Things that you wanted to do and things that you did not want to do.  I never really thought about all the things that I would be passing on to him.  And many of them are things that I would not have picked to give to him.  For instance,  when Ryan was born, the first thing one of the nurses said was - who's got the cleft chin?  And I immediately thought oh no, of all the things to pass on, that definitely would not have been my choice.


I do have to admit that my Krispy Kreme baby is very cute with his cleft chin.

Other items I seem to have passed on:
Allergies - check
Attitude - check
Stubbornness - check (although in all fairness, he got that from both of us!)
Eye color - check
Paleness of skin - check
Love for reading - check
Kindness to animals - check

And so, today we had an appointment for Ryan to see the podiatrist.  We (Ryan & I) have been to this office several times over the past few years.  The first time we were there was for a foot injury that Ryan had.  The x-rays showed an area of concern at his pediatrician office and so he wanted us to see a podiatrist.  The foot injury was fine, but there was some concern that Ryan's feet pronate (that means roll in).  In the course of that conversation, it became very apparent to me that I needed to make an appointment for myself to come in because I had the things that the doctor was talking about in Ryan.  And the very reason why I had terrible shin splints.  A fitting for orthotics and a few years of wearing them, and my shins are wonderful. 

Skip to today.  Ryan's feet are much like mine.  They roll.  So, hopefully a fitting for orthotics and we will be good to go.

While we were there, the doctor drew on Ryan's foot so that us parents, with the untrained eye for how the foot should be when walking, could see where the problem was.  Ryan actually giggled a little while being drawn on.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails